Gok Wan’s Teens- The Naked Truth – Body Dysmorphia
For research into this project I watched one of Gok Wan’s programmes where he has particularly look at teens and the effect that the media has looked on them.
Notes I Made Whilst Watching this episode.
- Teen survey 70% of teens revealed they don’t like what they see in the mirror.
- 24hr access to Internet
- the average teenager spends 31 hours on the internet a week where they are bombarded with images.
- The constant stream of retouch images of ‘so called perfection’ that having an effect on teens confindence
- Aware of the internet and celebrities
- Jo brand – gok asked her ‘ WHY DO YOU THINK ITS SO HARD TO BE A TEENAGER THESE DAYS’ – she said when you look at celebs like Rihanna, how gerogous they are, and I DON’T THINK TEENAGERS REALISE HOW MUCH CAMERA WORK AND MAKE UP GOES INTO CREATING THE PERFECT PERSON.IF YOU SAW RHIANNA GETTING OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING SHE WOULD LOOK SHIT LIKE THE REST OF US.
- Cathrine tate – ‘if I meet myself now I would say DON’T WORRY, YOUTH IS NOT ABOUT WORRY AND PLEASE DON’T EVER SIT AT HOME AND NOT GO OUT BECAUSE YOU DON’T THINK YOU LOOK GOOD ENOUGH.
- So much information on the internet on how to diet , look and even be anorexic (pro-ana) (thin-speration) only at a click of a button.
- Should body confidence be taught in schools ????
- Trying to fit in is something all teenagers try to do . fitting into different social blocks
- Gok invites paige and her friends to show them the process of the images in the magazine :
- 3 hrs in make up – highlighting what shes got .
- using a number of photos to get the right hair