Family Photographs: Content, meaning and effect – Julia Hirsch
Below are my thoughts as I read:
- There are differences in formal and candid family photography, yet the share the same history and use the same fundamental images.
- Western culture – the culture that invented photography.
- Family photography shows unity.
- Family photographs provide the viewer with information on the family, what era they are from, were they close.
- Like in Gillian Roses book, Hirsch has discussed the type of images show in the circle of like starting with beginnings through to death.
- Images of the family trigger conversation between family members in hopes to re light the memories shown.
- Candid photography is about personality not so much tone.
- Images have moved from stiff faces ( which was due to long exposure times) to beaming grins